- The Wellcome Trust Centre for Mitochondrial Research: http://www.newcastle-mitochondria.com
- The Centre for Neuromuscular Diseases: http://www.cnmd.ac.uk
- The Lily Foundation: http://www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk The Lily Foundation is a UK charity which raises funds for mitochondrial disease research, raises awareness of the condition and supports affected families.
- MDUK: http://www.musculardystrophyuk.org/ Muscular Dystrophy UK is a high-profile charity for patients with muscle disease in the UK. It provides support for patients and families and is a major research funder in the field of muscle disease
- Sparks: https://www.sparks.org.uk Sparks is a children’s medical research charity funding research across the whole spectrum of paediatric medicine.
- CLIMB: http://www.climb.org.uk/ Climb is a UK charity providing support and education for children with inborn errors of metabolism. CLIMB funds a number of major research projects.
- TREAT-NMD: http://www.treat-nmd.eu/home.php Treat-NMD is a network for people with neuromuscular diseases and professionals working in this field.
- UMDF: http://www.umdf.org
A US charitable organization providing support for patients and families. UMDF are dedicated to the promotion of research and education for the diagnosis and treatment of mitochondrial disease.
- AMDF: http://www.amdf.org.au An Australian charitable organization providing support for patients and families. AMDF are dedicated to supporting the mitochondrial disease community whilst seeking a cure.
- IMP: http://www.mitopatients.org International Mito Patients is a network of national patient organizations involved in mitochondrial disease.
Social Media Support
- Lily Foundation Family Support Group (UK based support for families who have children or young adults with mitochondrial disease) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/lilyfamilymitosupport/
- Mito Adult Support (UK based support for adults with mitochondrial disease) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/mitosupportworldwide/
- Leigh Network (UK based support for families with Leigh Syndrome and other mitochondrial diseases) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/171119526321329/
- Mito Matters UK (UK based support for patients with all types of mitochondrial disease) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/mitomattersuk/
Most of these groups require patients to click the link and request to join. Once approved, you can freely communicate with other mitochondrial patients. Please note that these groups are independent from all UK medical centers, and as a result, information discussed on these sites does not constitute medical advice and should not be treated as such.